ATMs are a great convenience, but if you're not careful, they can compromise your safety. A robber looking for easy prey only has to stake out an ATM in a low-traffic, dimly lit area and bide his time.
Cash machines at banks are probably the safest bet, but that doesn’t mean you have to steer clear of the ones at malls, airports and sports venues. You can avoid becoming a victim by using some good old common sense and by planning ahead for ATM withdrawals.
Here are some tips for making sure your visit to the ATM is uneventful:
- Always pay close attention to the ATM and your surroundings. Don’t select an ATM at the corner of a building — corners create a blind spot. Use an ATM located near the center of a building. Do your automated banking in a public, well-lighted location.
- Maintain an awareness of your surroundings throughout the entire transaction. When leaving an ATM make sure you are not being followed.
- Do not use an ATM that appears unusual looking or offers options with which you are not familiar or comfortable.
- Do not allow people to look over your shoulder as you enter your PIN.
- Do not wear expensive jewelry or take other valuables to the ATM.
- Never count cash at the machine or in public. Wait until you are in a secure place.
- When using a drive-up ATM, keep your engine running, your doors locked and leave enough room to maneuver between your car and the one ahead of you.
- Maintain a supply of deposit envelopes at home or in your car. Prepare all transaction paperwork prior to your arrival at the ATM.
- Closely monitor your bank statements, as well as your balances, and immediately report any problems to your bank.
- If you are involved in a confrontation with an assailant who demands your money, COMPLY.
It's your money...why spend it on fees?
You work hard for your money. You shouldn’t have to throw it away on ATM surcharge fees! That’s why Investors Community Bank is now part of MoneyPass – a surcharge-free ATM Network with 32,000 ATMs nationwide. Wherever you need to access your money, whether across town or across the country, you’ll find a MoneyPass ATM, making withdrawing cash more convenient than ever!
And if by chance you’re in an area without a MoneyPass ATM, no problem! We’ll rebate your account up to $10 a month for ATM fees charged by other networks. Visit our website for details on the ATM rebate.
Finding a MoneyPass ATM is easy at moneypass.com or with the MoneyPass ATM Locator app. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or GooglePlay.